Is this your first time looking for a rental property and you don’t know where to start? Well we can help you every step of the way!
Here are a few tips to help you find the perfect property:
- Firstly decide what features you are looking for in a property, eg. the amount of bedrooms, bathrooms, car accommodation, etc.
- Set yourself a price range that suits you financially. Most real estate agencies look for tenants who earn at least 3x a property’s weekly rent.
- Once you find a property that meets your requirements contact the renting agent to arrange an inspection of the property. This is also a good time to get a copy of the agents application form.
- It is a great idea to have your application form already completed when you go to an inspection. This can sometimes give you an advantage over other applicants as the agent may take your application to the owner first.
- Have your bond (4 weeks rent) plus 2 weeks rent ready so in the case that you are approved you can pay this to the real estate agent straight away to guarantee the property is yours.
Examples of documentation you can provide that will help make these decisions include:
- Verification of employment
- Verification of income
- Reference from employer or fellow staff member
- Reference from neighbour/teacher/business person/doctor/accountant
- Photo identification – driver’s licence/passport/student ID
- Three personal references – these should not be from relatives
- Last gas/electricity/phone bill or rates notice
- Copy of bank statement
- Registration number of vehicle
- Last address